Tekalegn Yirgu1*, Meskerem Adamu2, Misba Alewi1, and Farhana Faiza Bristy3
1Debre-Zeit Agricultural Research Center, P. O. Box, 32, Debre-Zeit, Ethiopia; 2Ethiopian Biotechnology Institute, P. O. Box 2003, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; and 3Dept. of Pharmaceutical Sciences, North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
*Correspondence: firstname.lastname@example.org (Tekalegn Yirgu, Debre-Zeit Agricultural Research Center, P. O. Box, 32, Debre-Zeit, Ethiopia).
Powered by Froala Editor
The study was undertaken with the aim of identifying the husbandry problems broiler producers faced and to forward possible interventions for enhancing the productivity of chicken meat. A stratified random sampling technique was used. A structural questionnaire was prepared and pretested. A total of 150 broiler producers were interviewed. Most of the broiler producers have experience of 1 to 6 years. About 70.7% of broiler producers were small-scale producers, while 1.3% were large-scale broiler producers. Broiler producers of 57% were allocated one broiler production house and then followed by two houses (30.2%). Regarding the location of the farm, 79.3% were found in residential areas, while 14% and 6.7% of the farm were located isolated and near the main roads, respectively. The highest average numbers of broiler chickens per unit were kept in large-scale production (3000.0±0.0); however, smaller (1371.3±128) numbers of chickens per house were kept in small-scale ones. Large-scale commercial farms were found to be the major sources of day-old chicks (80.7%). Of the respondent broiler producers 89.3% observed flock weight variations, while the remaining 10.7% didn’t observe and understand it. Similarly, out of the total broiler producers, 70.7 and 29.3% achieved 1-1.5 kg and 1.5-1.7 kg of slaughter weights, respectively. Even though broiler producers have scored experiences of about two decades, the country's broiler production status is not reached its expected levels of production potential. Hence, efforts have to be done by engaging various stakeholders who can contribute to improving productivity and maximizing the efficiency of broiler chicken meat in the country.
Keywords: Broiler, Efficiency, Husbandry, Meat, Standardization, Potential, Problem, and Production.
Citation: Yirgu T, Adamu M, Alewi M, and Bristy FF. (2023). Standardization and efficacy of the husbandry practices of broiler production. Int. J. Agric. Vet. Sci., 5(2), 18-26. https://doi.org/10.34104/ijavs.023.018026
Powered by Froala Editor